Doughnuts are just plain delicious and the classic American pastry. They’re so popular that the first Friday in June is National Doughnut Day.
New York City folks love their doughnuts and boast about having some of the best-tasting varieties on the planet. Although NYC is a huge city, expert doughnut tasters from GrubStreet.com did all the heavy research and noshing to come up with their own list of “The Absolute Best Doughnuts In NYC.” The happy crew features 36 strong contenders, and here are some of the highlights:
1. The Supermoon Bakehouse has no phone number but does have a cute pink neon sign that says “Bite Me NYC.” Fat, round doughnuts are amply filled with creative, yummy flavors that change every week.
For example, their chocolate brioche doughnut is packed with thick, gooey caramel with a cacao-nib meringue.
2. Underwest Donuts specializes in cake doughnuts that are freshly fried on the spot and feature lots of appealing glazed flavors like maple waffle, halva and carwash (vanilla-lavender).
Fans love these treats for their addictive fluffiness.
3. Doughnut Plant is another winner in “The Big Apple” and with good reason. Doughnuts are made by hand daily and considered to be in the gourmet class. In addition, Doughnut Plant never uses eggs, preservatives or anything artificial.
Some favorites include peanut butter and blackberry jam, coconut cream and Brooklyn black-out cake.
4. Dun-Well Doughnuts is all about the vegan goodness, and their entire list of doughnuts are made that way. Fans claim the treats taste like Krispy Kremes with their elegant light texture.
Dun-Well likes creating amazing glazes with root-beer and Creamsicle flavors.
5. Du’s Donuts And Coffee is another leader in the bunch with a wonderful variety of cake-doughnut masterpieces. Signature flavors feature peanut butter banana and brown butter key lime.